On this term’s Reading Day, a day when students spend their time studying for upcoming finals and finishing final papers and projects, staff and faculty joined to recognize 29 of their colleagues for their years of service to those students and Transylvania University.
The 2019 Service Awards celebrated the more than 300 years of cumulative on-campus experience of those celebrating milestone anniversaries of five, 10, 15 and 20 years at Transy.
“Faculty and staff members at Transylvania have always demonstrated a strong commitment to this institution,” said Tiffany Wheeler, associate professor of education and the newly instated presiding officer of the faculty.
Wheeler highlighted how those receiving awards have made a significant investment in Transy.
“They continually invest their time, talents and energies into teaching, engaging in scholarship and professional activities, performing countless hours of university service, and, most importantly, building relationships with their students,” Wheeler said.
“Our greatest asset is our people who come to work each day and make a difference by simply being themselves, lending a hand, an ear, and doing both the small and big tasks,” said Helen Bischoff, a Transy graduate who now works in the library.
This year, the following faculty and staff were recognized.
Five Years of Service
- Bessie Belmont, Housekeeper
- John Friedlein, Communications Specialist
- Kerri Hauman, Assistant Professor
- Christina Hayne, Assistant Professor
- Bethany Jurs, Assistant Professor
- David Kaufman, Assistant Professor
- Keaton Koukis, Assistant Coach – Swimming
- Richard Mack, Housekeeper
- Jennifer McCloud, Assistant Professor
- Hande Ozka, Assistant Professor
- Kara Salsman, Associate Director of Regional Advancement & Director of Advancement Services
- Holly Sheilley, Vice President of Enrollment and Student Life
- Matthew Vogel, Head Coach – Men’s Soccer
10 Years of Service
- David Purcell, Maintenance Mechanic
- Kimberly Covington, Senior Operations Coordinator
- Robert England, Associate Professor
- Jeffrey Hopper, Associate Professor
- Jeremy Paden, Associate Professor
- Richard Taylor, Instructor
15 Years of Service
- Randall Lamb, Lieutenant
- Cynthia Hague, Education Certification Specialist
- Michael Cronk, Assoc. Director for Career Development
- Mark Jackson, Associate Professor
20 Years of Service
- Mambuna Bojang, Technology Support Coordinator
- Eva Csuhai, Professor
- Peter Fosl, Professor
- Kurt Gohde, Professor
- Ann Long, Acquisitions/Serials Supervisor
25 Years of Service
- John Svarlien, Professor